Mount of Olives panorama

Mount of Olives panorama
A panoramic view of the Mount of Olives

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Student Farewell

BYU Jerusalem Center, Winter 2012 group


This is always a sad post, announcing the departure of our student group.  I remember last semester we were totally unprepared: we went up to say goodbye and take a few pictures and we all overwhelmed with unexpected emotion.  We were a little more composed this time, and the departure was eased by the fact that we will be home ourselves in four months and will see many of them again soon.  But there is nothing like this concentrated experience of studying, living, touring, and worshiping together 24-7 that makes us one big, strong family.

Farewell banquet last night
We gathered in the Auditorium for the group pic that appear at the top of this post.  And then there were the goodbyes . . . picture after picture of our "sons" and "daughters," but most of all our friends as they posed with me and Elaine and Rachel.  Then we shares lots of hugs, some tears, and memories for a lifetime.

Last semester our students made DVDs for each teacher in which they left us personal messages.  This semester they wrote out their thanks.  Both are keepsakes.  I am only half way reading through mine, but it is heart-warming to learn that I have changed the way they think and feel about Jesus or that the things that they will remember about me is how much I love the Lord and my family.





Before the group pic

After the group pic

With Elaine, Rachel, and "my boys"

Brennan, our faithful home teacher who also blessed Samuel's life as his primary teacher
Tucker and David, my elders quorum presidency's second counselor and secretary.

It's really happening . . .
 


 


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you've already gone through your second group!
    these pictures bring back a lot of memories...seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete