Mount of Olives panorama

Mount of Olives panorama
A panoramic view of the Mount of Olives

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Turkey Day 4: Assos and Pergamum

I am making a few of these blog entries up "after the fact," which means that commentary will need to be even shorter than it already has been on this "third round" of the Turkey tour.  See last semester's entry on Assos and Pergamum for this history and a more detailed description of those sites.  See below for new pictures of the same.


Assos

In the Byzantine gate at the entrance to the acropolis of Assos
My girl with the temple of Athena at Assos



What I like best: preaching the pleasing Word of God, in this case about the apostle Paul's visits to this area


Do I really move around and gesticulate this much when I teach?





Look at these amazing seascapes and skies!







Kent and I really wanted the students to see some of the ruins at the base of the acropolis, notably the theater.  But when he, Steve, and the guides tried to make their way to the bottom of the hill, they found that it was too difficult and called to tell me to take the students back down through the village of Behramkale.  When we got to where the buses met us, I managed, in my broken Turkish, to arrange and negotiate for small vans to take us around at the bottom of the hill to see these sites.




 

Pergamum

First, Magnum bars to fortify us for another site.




 





In the theater, one of the steepest in Ancient Greece












No comments:

Post a Comment